Father Bernard Overberg "Teacher of Teachers" Award
WHAT: This award recognizes educators in the SND national network who honor Father Bernard Overberg’s legacy as a teacher of teachers. His work had a profound impact on the educational vision and practices of the Sisters of Notre Dame. Father Overberg believed that a true education helped children develop their God-given gifts, especially the capacity to understand their world, to live responsibly in it, and, most importantly, to open their hearts to God’s love. He urged teachers to ignite the spark of learning in their students through engaging, conversational lessons that inspired them to think for themselves, to share ideas in their own words, to ask questions, to make observations, and to solve real-world problems.
WHO: Nominees for the Father Bernard Overberg “Teacher of Teachers” Award demonstrate exceptional, inspirational impact on the formation and professional learning of teachers.
WHEN: The award recipient(s) will be announced to the network on the first Monday in May. The presentation of the award to the award recipient is at the discretion of each school.
HOW: Each sponsored and affiliated ministry is eligible to submit up to three (3) nominations annually for this award. Please note the following rules and guidelines:
- Any employee or volunteer of the SND national network may submit a nomination.
- Valid nominations consist of a completed nomination form endorsed by a member of the ministry’s administration, as well as a narrative of 250 words or less on why the nominee deserves the award.
- The completed form and narrative can be submitted to the office by mail, e-mail or through our website. Further instructions can be found on the nomination form.
- Fileson nominees will be kept active for three (3) years, after which the candidate must either be renominated with an updated file, or the file will be closed.
- There is no set minimum or maximum for the number of awards given. We do not wish to place a cap on awarding those who passionately demonstrate the qualities outlined in the Father Bernard Overberg “Teacher of Teachers” Award.
- All nominations, including those on file, will be reviewed in April by a national nominations committee.
- Nominations must be received by March 31 for consideration in that year’s award recipient announcement.
- A master list of all award recipients will be kept in a book at the SND Motherhouse in Rome, similar to the Distinguished Graduate Award. The list will also be kept on the SND National Education Office website.
- Awards and certificates will be shipped to each ministry with an award recipient by the first Friday in May. The cost of the award, certificate and shipping with be covered by the SND National Education Office and is considered a benefit of membership in the SND Network.
- Nominations are confidential and all award nomination materials are confidential.
Father Bernard Overberg "Teacher of Teachers" Award Recipients
2018 Award Recipient
(Pictured above with 2018 EAC Chair, Dr. Laura Koehl)
Sr. Regina Alfonso - Retired Associate Professor of Education, Notre Dame College (South Euclid, OH)